Friday 30 December 2016

[Tool] if you feel overwhelmed about fitting something into your day, instead of saying "I need/have to (do _____) ", say "I want to (do ______) ." You'll inherently feel less stressed and more positive about getting it done.

For me this is an attitude adjustment to remind me why I have something on my schedule in the first place. I can easily get bogged down feeling like the things I "need" or "have" to take care of are a burden and taking away from the things I "want" to do. But truthfully most items on our schedules and to-do lists are things that we "want" to do, even though in that moment we may not feel that we would "like" to do it. I may not "like" squeezing in a rushed trip to the grocery store on a busy day, but I do actually "want" to have food for the week. Keeping your house clean, relationships maintained, and lives in order aren't things you are being forced to do, they are most likely things you've chosen on some level, and therefore---deep down---want to include in your life. Changing this one simple word can be a subtle reminder of the things in life you are blessed with, not burdened by. I read somewhere that happier people tend to use this verbiage (vague claim, I know) which I why I started doing this myself, but I couldn't track down the article. I can say from personal experience that this has helped change my attitude!

Read these examples and feel the change in connotation and attitude:

"I need to finish cleaning the house before we go to the movie."--> Sense of stress, burden

"I want to finish cleaning the house before we go to the movie."--> Sense of drive to accomplish a priority

"I only have an hour of free time tonight and I have to go to the gym." --> Sense of feeling crunched for time

"I only have an hour of free time tonight and I want to go to the gym."--> Sense of optimizing time to fit in something important to you

"I wish I could meet for dinner, but I have to help my brother with a project, I promised I would."--> Sense of obligation & missing out on something fun

"I would love to meet for dinner, but I want to help my brother with a project, I promised I would."--> Sense of prioritizing a relationship and staying true to your word

This may only be a small change but remember that language is powerful.



Submitted December 30, 2016 at 09:41PM by hdiehard http://ift.tt/2ixDe12

No comments:

Post a Comment