Saturday 9 June 2018

YOU are the best suicide prevention! [discussion]

I really would like people to understand that Suicide Prevention hotlines are not always the best way to seek help. I once called a Suicide Prevention Hotline in the depths of my bipolar depression only to have the person hang up on me because I said that I might OD on purpose. When I called back the woman angrily describe to me how she does not do "drug talk" or cursing. She seemingly would have been willing to let me kill myself that day just so that she didn't have to hear any talk about drugs or any curse words while she was supposedly trying to prevent people from killing themselves. So I just want to remind people not to pass the buck on to some supposedly helpful Suicide Prevention Hotline that might literally hang up on the people who call. Remember not to pass the buck by telling someone to go talk to somebody else. If you are talking to someone who you know is in danger you can be the person to talk them down. But if you try and get them to call someone else because you don't know how or you think there are other people out there who specialize in that you might be dead wrong.



Submitted June 09, 2018 at 09:31PM by that1one1dude https://ift.tt/2HAtaiT

No comments:

Post a Comment