Friday 29 December 2017

[Discussion] How to do things when you have no goals? (Update)

Nine months ago, I made this post about my struggles with finding the energy to do anything when I don't have any goals that I feel are worth doing.

Long story short, I took a lot of your advice to heart. I started a Youtube channel shortly after making that thread, and I've been able to make that my main source of income with 75k subscribers and growing. I finished my term as a Fulbright scholar, and now I'm working on getting a short story published. To put things simply, things honestly couldn't be going much better.

And for some reason, I'm still not significantly happier than I was before. I still don't feel compelled to do anything. I have a job that I enjoy doing, but whenever I go to do it it just feels hollow and pointless and I wonder why I'm wasting my life on this when I could be doing. . .what? You all suggested that I start taking control of my life and doing what I want to do instead of what I was expected or told to do, and I have. Now what? The video that was supposed to be out two months ago hasn't even been written yet, and I barely feel compelled to start.

And honestly, I'm not even sure this is just depression. I've struggled with depression for a long time, but this feels different. It feels like there really isn't anything more I can reasonably hope for. I'm content with my life. I have the job I want, the friends I want. Everything except a romantic partner, and there isn't much I can do to control that. I just feel like my life can't improve anymore, and even though I obviously feel like a right bastard for complaining about that, it just makes everything feel so shallow and stagnant. What do?

TL;DR: Asked for advice nine months ago. Got my dream job, started working out, moved in with good friends instead of living alone in a foreign country, my life is basically perfect. Still dissatisfied and have nothing I want to do. What do?



Submitted December 30, 2017 at 01:17AM by Blithium http://ift.tt/2Ca8GQk

No comments:

Post a Comment