Monday, 27 March 2017

[Story] 65+ lbs. and Counting!

Good evening everyone of Reddit. I am posting because I wanted to share a personal achievement because I'm proud and lately I've been hearing a lot of praise from coworkers, friends, and family regarding what I've been able to accomplish. Hopefully someone who understand my position personally can be motivated to work hard too!

I have successfully lost more than 65lbs in about 5 months!

Back story: I've always been bigger. I have always been self conscious about my weight, even while very young, and would simply try to avoid using scales or hospital visits to avoid knowing what my weight was. I did this successfully until a few months ago when I went into the hospital for a very unusual growth on my wrist which turns out to be nothing more than a bug bite of sorts. What's important is that I chose to turn my head when they took my weight. That was until I was cleaning my car a few days later and stumbled upon the doctor's notes following this visit. The weight was listed in bold on the front: 381!

This was shocking for me. I knew I was a bigger guy, but this was a number I never wanted to see. I couldn't be in denial any more. This number literally shocked me out of all my old habits. This realization came right as I was coming in from my lunch break at work with a bag of chocolate in-hand -- I tossed it onto a table and walked away that day, dedicating my days to lowering that unholy number that really shook and startled me.

I made a quiet pledge to avoid all my favorite things: Mexican food, chocolate, cake, pastries, etc. I was going on a low calorie diet. I didn't know anything about formal diets, the kind that you read about in magazines, so I made it all my own: an emphasis on veggies and fruits, decrease breads, eating less overall throughout the day.

When I first started, I admit I was effectively just starving my body -- eating only once a day, and a very very small portion. This got old very quick. My diet transitioned over time to remain a modified low calorie diet that emphasizes having small snacks throughout the day that are low in calorie such as green veggies as well as drinking only beverages with no calories, particularly water.

On top of this I have made efforts to go to cardio workouts every so often -- I have always been someone who hates working out.

Overall, my diet isn't particularly difficult. It requires willpower and I admit that I have cheated on occasion whenever exposed to all those delicious little demons called carbs and calories.

But the other day I got onto the scale and it read 318!

Now I'm not under the impression that this number is perfect, but I am delighted at this transformation! I think it is important to celebrate all victories, no matter how small, and this might be the smallest I've been in a long time!

What's more important to me is that XXXL shirts (which I've been wearing for almost a decade) are actually becoming baggy on me! I never thought a day would come when I could shrink down to a XXL, but that day is right around the corner! I was pushing on a XXXXL and all the health problems associated with remaining ignorant to how I wasn't taking care of myself.

Ultimately, my point in posting is this: not all of us are cut out to be fitness freaks and health nuts, but any change is a positive change! I made a change and have lost almost 70lbs! I have a ways to go, but I am feeling the benefits of this healthier lifestyle and I am inspiring those closest to me. My coworkers and friends come to me and say "I am taking care of myself now because you inspired me." This means the world to me.

With any hope, someone reading this might be motivated to make those tiny little changes that really go so far if you remain strong!

Anyways, thank you for your time =)

Feel free to message me with any tips. I know I'm not an expert or anything, but I like to think that maybe I can help the layman in regards to being just a bit more trim :)

<3



Submitted March 27, 2017 at 11:28AM by Killercroissants http://ift.tt/2nr2470

No comments:

Post a Comment