Sunday 4 June 2017

[Story] Funny how a couple of decisions can set your life on a completely different trajectory

Apologies if this becomes long winded, TL;DR down the bottom.

So 3 years ago to this day I went through an incredibly messy breakup of a 4 year relationship that was beyond toxic (Decision 1). Up until that point I was overweight by a good 30lbs, no confidence, no hobbies, none of my own friends and poor self esteem. Had basically given up on ever having a happy life because I was too scared to break up with my then girlfriend. Sounds stupid looking back right?

After things with the break up settled down all of a sudden I had all this free time. My only passion in life was my job really, which isn't a great way to live even though it's a great company to work for. I have always been a massive fan of MMA and martial arts in general and had always wanted to do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but was always hesitant to start as I'm not an athletic guy at all and given its full contact just felt uneasy. I decided to just bite the bullet and go visit one of the BJJ academies in my area, as soon as I walked in there I was greeted with a handshake and a bro-hug by the guy who runs the gym. I knew straight away this is where I belonged and I signed up to start Jiu Jitsu (Decision 2).

Fast forward to 2017 I feel like my life is better than ever at 28 years old. Jiu Jitsu has now gone beyond a hobby for me and become my passion in life, I train 4 to 5 times a week and regularly enter competitions to test myself as well. I lost all the fat and am in relatively good shape, have a great group of loyal friends (who I met through Jiu Jitsu), but at the same time I'm passionate about my job as ever as well.

However then biggest realisation for me about how my life has changed, is I've decided to basically pack everything up back home and have bought a one way ticket overseas (Starting in Indonesia and plan to do all of SE Asia). To experience long term travel, living in other countries and of course to train and compete in BJJ. I'm at a point in my life where I'm able to do something as crazy as this being single with no major commitments, and I never would have had the confidence in myself to venture out like this without those two decisions IMO.

TL;DR - used to be in a toxic relationship, broke up and started Jiu Jitsu which has changed my life. Now taking a one way ticket overseas to travel, live overseas and train/compete :)



Submitted June 04, 2017 at 06:07PM by killahbt http://ift.tt/2ssgtR6

No comments:

Post a Comment