Tuesday 31 October 2017

[Discussion] Motivation is and sometimes requires more than a simple picture with someones Quote accross it. Let’s talk about you. About me. Let’s share our aspriations and motivations! [motivation Mega Thread]

Personally I am a 26 year old animation major. I grew up without running water and was stuck in an abusive home till I was 17. It’s lucky that I hated home. It made me love school. I was the first person in my family to graduate high school. My own grandfather cannot read or write.

I went off to college, a local university first to get general education credits completed cheaply. I then transferred to IADT in Chicago to complete my degree in Animation.

Two years I spent there struggling. Every semester they gave me the same story about enrollment being at an all time low, that my core classes didn’t fill up and that to retain full time student status I would have to pick electives instead of my core classes. Otherwise I would lose my student housing funds.

End of my second year I had that the Helvetica typeface is widely used, even by McDonalds. I had learned that the Bauhaus movement’s main idea was to create the most romantic ideas using grid based poster design with only geometric/ primary colored shapes. I learned a lot. But not a damn thing about animation.

That’s where it gets hard friends. My school announced that they lost accreditation and would be closing when the last student graduated. I asked myself after two years of being asked to bend over semester after semester, what would be the point of graduating from a school that had closed?

I dropped out. Tried to file a class action lawsuit against IADT, but my fellow student were almost all lower income and also low on legal confidence. Not a single one was brave enough ton”risk their degree” to fight for their rights.

So two years of my life, my precious time, and 35,000 is student loans weee all I had to show for my time at IADT. I learned nothing about animation, and none of my credits were transferable.

Sometimes staying motivated is hard.

I spent a year living with my mom who’d finally divorced my abusive step father. Tried to find my motivation. Took me a year of no art and just saving money.

3 years ago I moved to California. Currently working on an animation to show to Zhao Lei. (famous country music singer from China currently on Tour)

He has a song about things in life he longs for being painted before his eyes into life. I’m animating it because I’m hoping to show it to him.

My motivation comes from being 26 and having little to show for it. It comes from my relationships, the people Inkeep around me. It comes from the one day hope that I can make a real difference in other people’s lives through cartoons and business. It comes from wanting to be a better father than I ever had.

Stay strong guys. Success stories take time, and often come from those that experience a lot of hardship but keep their thoughts focused on what will be, not whatbhas come to pass.

I look forward to hearing your stories.



Submitted October 31, 2017 at 11:08PM by TheKingofEloHell http://ift.tt/2zUISlC

No comments:

Post a Comment